Monday, May 1, 2017

Visualizing Understanding: The Evolution of the US-Mexico Border

One of the concepts that I have struggled the most with throughout my time doing immigration advocacy work is the very normalized idea of borders. Over the years I have learned that most countries do not have massive border fences like the US does, some countries even have border areas that foster cross-country community building, so I decided to focus my project on the evolution of the US-Mexico border. I decided to use the Timetoast timeline platform for this visualization
project because, of all the timeline platforms I explored, this one was the most user-friendly. Unfortunately, it did not have some of the extra interactive features that other platforms did, like linking videos straight to the timeline, but it is streamlined and loads easily. I chose all of the pictures before putting any text into the timeline based on the chronological order of the events throughout history. After inserting the text, I selected short videos for some of the events and linked them in the text boxes.

During the research phase of this project I realized how difficult it would be to find a history of the border article that comprehensively discussed the pre-colonial aspect and the impact on indigenous sovereignty. I decided to try to represent that aspect of the border’s on-going history in my timeline. These historical events have also had impacts on many people’s lives. Those stories were not always represented in the literature I read, which is why incorporating video footage was helpful in deepening my own understanding and hopefully will be for others as well. During my
research I quickly learned that my timeline would have to be a condensed version of border history because there have been countless pieces of legislation passed affecting fence construction and border security. I also learned how important it is to know this history and to know what the lived impact of border fencing and militarization is. It becomes incredibly easy to advocate for bigger walls and greater militarization when the fence is not in our backyard, as it is for Tahono O’dhame Nation.
            Visualization is a powerful vehicle for learning and I would definitely use it in my future teaching. I will be licensed to teach ESL initially, but eventually plan to obtain my bilingual teaching license as well. Visualization is important for all students, and the possibilities for creativity open up even more when there are multiple languages spoken in the classroom. It is a time consuming process to create something like this from scratch, but there are also many resources out there that make the process a bit easier. I hope that as the years go by in my teaching career, I am able to create learning tools like these and keep them in my tool box to re-use with future classes of students. 

5 comments:

  1. The timeline aspect of your project was definitely the way to go here. I'm especially into the "list" feature in which all the timeline events are put onto one page and resemble a blog. This could be an interesting platform to bring into classrooms and have students create one of their own for a relevant project. and just a little comment on the written portion you included, I like how you mentioned the importance of visualization for students and that "possibilities for creativity open up even more when there are multiple languages spoken in the classroom." Great point.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Hey Francisca,

    You picked a concept that's very imperative in today's classroom. I didn't learn about the US-Mexico border in my predominantly Republican grade school, but was well aware of it from the news and popular culture. I'm happy that you're normalizing the border and hope this timeline will be introduced to your students.

    As for the timeline itself, it was very informative. The incorporation of views and legislations implemented by past US presidents was a nice touch, and a smart way to insert information about Trump's current campaign. If I had one constructive criticism to make, I'd recommended reducing the amount of external links. You've already provided a wonderful amount of detail in your timeline, and some of the sections don't need the extra sources. Other than that, your visualization was thought out, informative, and evident that it's a topic you care about. Great work!

    ReplyDelete
  3. This comment has been removed by the author.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Hi Francisca,

    I can definitely respect that you decided to use a platform that was more user friendly for this project after exploring a few other timeline's that could've been used, especially for in the classroom. As I navigated my way through your project it did take me a bit to explore and find that the list mode worked the best and made it easiest to read through. I like how clean and organized this platform allows you to be with all the information you provided. The first video, showing the Sky Woman, was great to provide the class with some First Nation's History.

    I would say that it could be helpful to narrow down your external links or even summarize them in the paragraph provided, since it ends up being a lot of information (I know this could be difficult because I found everything so interesting). I even learned some new things myself and really thought this project shined some light on what (negative) impact building a wall would have on everyone. My question for you would be is this a platform you would have your students use to create a project? If so, how? If not, why?
    Great job!!!

    ReplyDelete
  5. You did a really good job on your timeline visualization. Although it may not have been as full features as you wanted, I definitely understand where you're coming from with the ease of use. It sounds like we had similar struggles narrowing down platforms.

    The content of your project is incredibly intriguing as it holds a certain status today, but the history is often overlooked. There is a lot of information to unpack, but the visualization makes it much easier to digest, as I'm sure it will for your students as well.

    ReplyDelete