Thursday, February 2, 2017

Welcome!

My name is Francisca Eugenia Meráz, I go by Kika for short. I am in the first year of my Curriculum and Instruction Masters program at UW-Milwaukee, and I am also studying for my teaching license in English as a Second Language (ESL). I grew up bilingual (Spanish and English), went to MPS schools from k5 through 12th grade, and during my first few years of elementary school I was also an ESL student. I still live in the same neighborhood that I grew up in on the Southside of Milwaukee, and I have no desire to leave my hood, mi barrio. My professional goals in the short term are to reinvest what Milwaukee and its public schools gave me and become an ESL teacher at the high school level. Check out this link to view some brief summaries on MPS's Bilingual and Multicultural learning opportunities. 

6 comments:

  1. Hi Francisca! I think it's so neat that we have so many people in our class interested in ESL. I would also like to stay local and teach, so I look forward to getting to know you more through the blog and your journey to teaching!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Hey Francisca and welcome to your first semester of grad school! I think it's pretty great that you have so much interest in investing back into the neighborhood you grew up in, I feel like most ESL majors want to stray as far away from home as possible and tend to neglect the ESL demands we have in our own city. I look forward to seeing more of your blog!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Hey Francisca! It's nice to meet you. I'm drawn to the image you posted because it reminded me of my parents and their struggles living in the US. That's great that you want to stay in Milwaukee, and reinvest what the public school system provided for you. I'm excited to read more about your journey!

    ReplyDelete
  4. Hi Kika! Glad to see you care so much for your neighborhood and Milwaukee.

    ReplyDelete
  5. I loved reading about the affections you have for your barrio and that you'd like to teach there if possible. Do you know yet whether you'd like to teacher at the elementary or high school level? Looking forward to learning more.

    ReplyDelete